Thursday, January 13, 2011

Personal Review


        F. Scott Fitzgerald’s novel, The Great Gatsby, was an intriguing story of two lovers. The characters portrayed in this novel were described with detailed descriptions that made them relatable and likable. While the characters were conveyed with remarkable detail, I felt that the delivery of the story was, at times, hard to follow. By jumping between the past and the present in an unorganized way, it made one have to slow the pace of the reading and at times re-read a section. However, even though I did not enjoy the way it was delivered, I still found it to be an interesting organizational method that the author utilized. What I found to be extremely aggravating was the way the novel ended. For Daisy and Tom to sneak away in the middle of the night showed a shallowness that I expected to find in Tom, but that I believed was less present in Daisy. I had enjoyed Daisy’s character throughout the novel, however, her inability to express her emotions with confidence in the hotel room and running away from her problems in the end left me completely dissatisfied. Also, I was disappointed that Mr. Gatsby’s job and income were not revealed at the end. However, the novel was enjoyable overall; it was not my favorite, but it was definitely not the worst.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you that Daisy's actions in the end were shallow, but I felt that Daisy was shallow throughout the novel. Even when Gatsby was a soldier, Daisy did not truly know Gatsby's social standing. I also would have liked to know Gatsby's job and income. He seems so mysterious; its quite intriguing.

    ReplyDelete